Tuesday, January 28, 2014

CanCon 2014: A spectacular find!

Drove down to Canberra for the Australia Day long weekend with my husband, to visit CanCon, as we do every year. It was surprising, though pleasantly so, to see a change in atmosphere. I was happy to see more female hobbyists, as well as young families with children and even non-gamers/hobbyists wandering in to see what it was all about.

We picked up some awesome stuff from the Bring and Buy, as well as the folks at Eureka. Probably the best thing I got was this old elven attack chariot - coincidentally one I've been hoping to find for ages - though it is missing a couple of accessories. We'll see about finding some replacements or doing some sort of conversion to make up for it, but SO happy to finally have one (and it was a bargain too!):


I also picked up some cool, old high elf dragon princes in metal to go along with my plastic ones; some 15mm fantasy minis (including a tiny Pegasus!); a dark elf bolt thrower; another plastic high elf lion chariot (not sure if I'm going to build it as the regular Tiranoc plastic chariot or do some sort of conversion with it).

From Eureka, I picked up this helmet tank - simply because it's quirky, but it will definitely fit in with my steam-punk figures if we ever get around to playing Empire of the Dead:

I also bought one of the new female elf conversion kits - the semi-armoured one, though they also have fully-armoured and unarmoured archer torsos available - BEST thing they've brought in for a while! They only come with heads and torsos, though you can buy spear arms separately. With the abundance of spears I already have in my high elf army (16-strong unit of maiden guard - plus the Everqueen - and 20 Lothern Sea Guard), I thought it would be nice to have some archers - though I wanted semi-armoured ones rather than the unarmoured ones in the kit from Eureka - so I picked up some legs, quivers and archer arms from Bitz Galaxy. Looking forward to putting them together and seeing what they look like! They'll make a nice balance for my troops, along with the unit of Sisters of Avelorn (also archers) I picked up from Good Games last year.

As always, post-CanCon enthusiasm has also led to some unplanned purchases, mainly to use with my high elves. Stay tuned for some interesting conversions!

2 comments:

  1. Nice haul! Did well myself...A little too well(;

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't see you there, Guy! Would have liked to say hello :-) We did see Rex and Kendo, though. Good to hear you made it down and found some goodies!

      Delete